Sunday, April 15, 2007

Milestones

I was reading through developmental milestones for four-month-olds; Danielle has her four-month well-baby appointment on Friday. I wanted to make sure I knew the answers to all the questions. (I was stumped on "Can Jeremiah bunny-hop three times?" And, yes, he can; I saw him bunny hop six times the next afternoon.)

I knew she was on track for all but one of the milestones. She coos and babbles. She smiles. She laughs. She makes eye contact. She turns toward voices. She watches things. She wiggles really very well (I think she's getting ready to roll over soon). She likes to play on her tummy for a few minutes a few times a day. She sleeps wonderfully at night. But, does she reach for things?

I set up an experiment. Since I'm not watching her all the time when she's on the floor (I'm usually playing the piano or doing housework if she's having floortime), I put her on a blanket and set two large stuffed blocks next to her, one on top of the other. And lo and behold, the next time I passed by, the blocks weren't stacked anymore! Yes! She can and does reach for things!

Of course, I saw her reaching for Jeremiah's glasses today when he was giving her a hug. And I saw her reaching to grab my shirt. And reaching to grab my arm. And reaching to hold her blanket. So, she's right on track.

No comments: