Friday, May 2, 2008

Faraway Child

I read "Faraway Child" yesterday. It's been on my to-read list for a few months now. It's a fictionalized story of a mom who has an autistic daughter (PC would be "daughter with autism"), from an LDS perspective. (The author is an LDS woman who has an autistic daughter, and bases the story off of her experiences with her daughter.) I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to know what it's like to raise an autistic child: the hopes, fears, struggles, griefs, joys, peace.

My experiences with Jeremiah are much different. But so much closer to what she describes than how anyone would describe a typical child. But her feelings, inadequacies, joy and appreciation and comfort when something finally goes right...those are all the same.

John looked over at me a few times as I was reading, and saw me sobbing at least three times. He kept asking if I was certain I wanted to keep reading this book. I don't know that it was necessarily heart-wrenching, just incredibly close to home.

No comments: