Friday, May 30, 2008

Gardens

This year we bought wood and made two 4x4 gardens in our backyard. We combined strategies from square foot gardening and lasagna gardens, and up until yesterday it seemed to be going very well.

We made our garden boxes and filled them with layers of compost, manure, dried grass and leaves, and peat moss--not necessarily in that order--and covered them to "cook" which wasn't necessary, but speeds up the decomposing process and it was a mite too early to plant over here.

Yesterday I (finally) planted our tomato plants that have been so good on our kitchen sill. One of the stems broke as I was planting it--I'm not exactly sure how.

And then last night there was a thunderstorm. And looking at my sad plants, it appears that a rabbit came by and had a snack. I wanted to get a fence around the garden beds, but needed to plant the tomato plants before I got the fence up.

I was just looking at the garden with Danielle. She broke one of the plants in half.

From our gardening experience so far this year, we have beautiful soil and one tiny tomato plant left. Maybe one of the other plants will miraculously survive, but with so little left of them it's hard to imagine.

No comments: