Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Dragon Naturally Speaking

dear intrepid readers,

So I got a new toy at work. It's pretty interesting, it's Dragon NaturallySpeaking, speech recognition software for the PC. So the idea is that if I'm sitting at my desk, and I'm trying to compose an e-mail, I can simply speak into my software and it types for me. Unfortunately the reason I need Dragon NaturallySpeaking to type is that my writing tends to be a little convoluted and not necessarily the easy to understand or straight forward ( and it takes me forever to write these things because I way over think it). So, these possible potential hopeful solution is that I can speak into the software and then my writing is easier to understand and makes more sense and ends up not being so dense. It definitely makes typing fun! I had to try Captains log start eight (i.e. StarDate) 286 -- three but unfortunately the software doesn't seem to recognize StarDate so it doesn't end up being as cool as I'd hoped.

the other cool thing you can do with it is a dictate keyboard keys to press and it will type for you, so for example alt tab or control F or things like that can be run with my voice. But I would really like to do is have it jump directly to a location on a webpage after I say text, right now they are are a few more steps than just that so all work on streamlining it. In any case, I definitely remember as a child seeing the captain of the Battlestar Galactica and Capt. Jean-Luc Picard speaking into their typing computers and thinking wow the future is going to be so cool. It's here and it kind of is.

3 comments:

John Colton said...

I tried Dragon NaturallySpeaking about two years ago, and also found that it wasn't as cool as I had hoped.

Cougarg said...

Was this post written with Dragon NaturallySpeaking?

Jay said...

Don't worry, John, hoverboards are now only five-and-a-half years away, tops. And everything that comes with it (self-drying clothes and whatnot).