Saturday, June 9, 2007

Eye Patches

Jeremiah had another eye appointment this past Monday. He's good about keeping his glasses on (finally), which is great, except his left eye still crosses in. It doesn't cross as much when he has his glasses on, but it didn't straighten out as we were hoping it would.

Which means he now needs to wear an eye patch over his right eye to let his left eye work on seeing so he doesn't lose his sight in that eye.

We need to keep an eye patch on for 12 hours a day, every day, for a few months. The little problem with this is: Jer doesn't particularly like having a "band-aid" over his eye. I put one on him this morning, and he kept it on for about 3 minutes, because I was holding him and trying to keep him distracted. And after the patch is removed, it no longer sticks particularly well.

I put it over my eye when he took it off, and I tried to keep it on for as long as I could (as though by doing so I could prove that it isn't that bad and is maybe even fun). I think I might have lasted about 3 minutes. It wasn't very fun, and it was really irritating and obnoxious. So, we'll see.

I figured out that at 3 minutes a patch, we'd only need to patch it 240 times a day. (His doctor did say that 6 hours would be good, though 12 is better. So that would only be 120 patches...) We'll work on it, and probably pick up some tape to make it harder to remove. Poor kid. So many little irritating things to keep on his little body. Glasses, a diaper, a patch...

No comments: