Monday, August 24, 2009

Isaac-isms


Isaac has been keeping us up with hilarious stories from school today. He was supposed to be going to sleep, but it's difficult to enforce when I can't even try to enforce. So, I'll share!

Isaac had a time-out today. Because he was picking his nose, and his booger hit a kid's eye. No, actually it went by their shoulder, but it was sillier this way. He was just teasing us about the eye part.

I biked the kids home from school today, and since Isaac hasn't been diligently eating his lunch (it takes time away from playing at Lunch Recess), I've been checking it as soon as I can to see if he wants to eat. Today he just had 6-8 grapes left. Me: Isaac, do you want to eat your grapes? Isaac: No, I'm saving them for daddy. Me: Isaac, Daddy's at his school, and he won't be home for a while. Isaac: I just like to save some of my lunch for daddy.*

Isaac and I have been doing piano lessons after school, and he also has to do his music homework, kindergarten homework, and reading time (I read to him, he reads to me), and then he gets to have his 20-30 minutes of computer time. This is incredibly motivating to him. Today he chose "The Dragon Who Lived Downstairs" as the book he wanted to read to me, and silly mom that I am, I warned him that it was really hard and had lots of small words. But no, he wanted to read that silly book. I had read it to him twice last week. He did struggle with some words, but he actually read it very well--smoothly and quickly. Here's an excerpt. (The words he struggled with were daughter, irritation, and slightest provocation.)

Once upon a time, in a kingdom far away, there lived a king and a queen and their little daughter, Princess Mildred. As kingdoms go, theirs was a small and rather poor one, for although the king and queen were royal, they had very little money. This was a source of great irritation for the queen, who came from a long line of royalty. As a matter of fact, upon the slightest provocation, she would tell you how she was a second daughter of a second daughter of a king, who, in turn, was the second son of the second daughter of a king, and so on as far back as anyone could remember.
He's enjoying school. His favorite parts are recess and lunch recess.

*John's also been checking Isaac's lunch after school, and eating any leftovers. Since John enjoys eating Isaac's leftovers, Isaac now makes sure he saves some food for his daddy.

No comments: