Saturday, September 8, 2007

"Break-In"

Last night we all went shopping--I didn't notice that Jeremiah's new shoes were of the "wide" variety, of which his feet are not, so we exchanged them for new ones. I brought the things in from the car, and opened Isaac's door for him, and let John bring in the other kids. But after we were all inside, I remember thinking I should lock the car...but I didn't.

So it's 5 now. Someone rang the doorbell 8 times in a row, then rapped on the door a bunch. (I admit, when the doorbell kept ringing, I thought it was Isaac--what adult would do that?! Oh. A police officer.)

So I went outside. And our neighbor had been outside and seen a 28-year-old woman going around our car, looking in the windows, and decided to quickly call the police. The officer thought perhaps the neighbor was confused since young women don't typically break into cars. We checked the car, but there wasn't anything in there to steal other than some car seats (which were still there). I think that some girl was walking around, saw that a car had it's interior lights on and wanted to do a good deed by getting it to turn off, and then ran away when she saw someone had seen her and mistook her intent.

Poor girl.

I tried to close the trunk, and a blanket was in the way of the latch and needed to be tossed inside all the way before I could close it. I guess it's good the alarm wasn't on--when the trunk closed, it would have set the alarm off. :)

1 comment:

Cougarg said...

The day after Independence Day I got in my car, and noticed the contents of my glove box were now on my passenger seat, and I didn't put them there. Didn't seem like anything was missing, so I never bothered with a police report, but it sure was disturbing to think about. Never felt that way before.