Sunday, August 26, 2007

Sunbeams

Three and a half weeks ago, I received a phone call (a very apologetic one) in which I was asked to teach the Sunbeams class (3-4 year olds) at church. I almost said no, because Isaac's in that class and I know he does a lot better at church when I'm not in sight. But I said yes--she wouldn't have asked if there were many other choices. And later that day, all the substitutes were asked to continue subbing their respective classes for another two weeks.

Well. Today was the last of the two more weeks. And every week has been a different combination of kids, and consequently a different personality spectrum. Today was high on the feline side of the spectrum--5 of the 6 kids were pretending to be cats for 50 minutes, including the entirety of closing exercises and most of our class time. They weren't the purring types of cats, either; They were the loud, hungry types.

I had a breakdown on the way home from church and closed myself in my room when we got home. So now I'm wondering why in the world I'm planning on calling our new Primary president (who was the last one in the branch) to see if there's a Sunbeams teacher lined up for the next few weeks...and considering volunteering to be subjected to more. Part of me is just stubborn and not used to failure--maybe I just feel some odd need for a new challenge. Or something. But there's got to be a way to get those kids to focus and be interested. There's got to be, I know it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps you could do a lesson about animals? and have a specific time set aside to behave like cats??? I used to always just burst into song when the sunbeams were having difficulty staying with the program, it helped...they were entertained, I calmed down...win win...you could try it..good luck! Call me if you want some more ideas! I'm full of them...or something else at least..

Cougarg said...

Alison, check out Latter-dayvillage.com My mom runs the site and has for years. I'm not sure of anything specific that would be useful, but it certainly couldn't hurt. There is all kinds of stuff there, hopefully something will stand out. Good luck!

alison said...

I won't be teaching next Sunday, although I DID ask. I'm playing the piano instead. :)

Cougarg said...

At least you know you did your due diligence, and you are spared being thrown in the lion's den, at least for awhile. ;)

Anonymous said...

Chell, THEY were focused...they were all cats! They just weren't focused on what you wanted them to be focused on. Some days all you can do is love them. And if you can't beat them join them! Next time be the biggest loudest cat, get their attention and then tell them the lion is the king of the cats, if it works keep going with it and then jump back to the lesson, perhaps like the lion, Heavenly Father is the king of humanity or another lion story is that of Daniel. If nothing works...just have fun and love them!