Friday, August 17, 2007

Smarter than the Average Bear

One of the parenting tricks I've heard over and over again (mostly for toddlers or preschoolers, or at least in reference to toddlers and preschoolers) is to let them choose between two things:

"Do you want juice or milk with your lunch?" "Juice."

"Do you want to hop to your room or skip to your room?" "Skip."

Et cetera.

Isaac doesn't fit into the toddler or preschooler mold very well. This was our conversation in the kitchen:

Isaac: "I want some soda."

Me: "You need to put clothes on first, then you can have soda."

Isaac: "I DON'T WANT TO WEAR CLOTHES! I WANT SODA!"

Me (internally rolling my eyes): "If you want to have soda you need to put undies on. Do you want undies or Pull-Ups?"

Isaac: "I don't want undies or Pull-Ups. I want soda."

Me: "Would you like to wear undies or Pull-Ups?"

Isaac: "Um." Lengthy pause. "Soda."

People swear this strategy works. I'm not one of them. Isaac doesn't care what his choices are if he knows what he wants.

I'm picturing taking him to a restaurant in a year or two..."What would you like to drink?" "I want grape juice, with ice. I would like each ice cube to have a frozen grape in it. Thank you." Pause. "Um. We don't have gr--" "I WANT GRAPE JUICE WITH..." You get the idea.

2 comments:

dad said...

Have you been teaching my grandson that it's okay to request grapes in his ice already? He shouldn't even know it's an option untli he's at least 18.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Kelvie on that one..way too young to know about the grapes in ice...it must be frustrating for you...but the story is very funny for me...so if it helps at all just remember the next time your child is being difficult I will find it hillarious!