Monday, September 22, 2008

Psychotic

That, or manic-depressive. I can't decide which.

Me, actually. Not my kids, not the weather (thought it could very well be described as such).

I seem to be having highs and lows, with the lows coming unpredictably. Well, the last one came unpredictably. I'm self-medicating (large doses or books, usually daily), and so far it's been working, and it's been about 9 days. (I need book recommendations, please.)

For example, today would have made most people a little crazy, but not me. I took Danielle and Jeremiah to the YMCA (I exercised...lightly...and shortly) while they played in the childcare (today was the first time I took them, so I didn't want to be gone for too long). And when we were ready to leave (well, after the 3.5 minute tantrum about leaving the Spiderman action figure there), it turns out the car wouldn't start. I walked the kids home--just 3 miles, 95 degrees, and pushing a 90-pound stroller (but I was very happy that I had the stroller). After we relaxed at home for 30 minutes, it was time to get the stroller down the flight of stairs (up wasn't fun, either) and walk Jeremiah to school. I decided to take the stroller first, before the kids (any other way is ridiculous, for those who don't have kids). Danielle followed me, down the stairs and back up. Jeremiah locked us out. Of course, I didn't have key, phone, purse, anything. Not even a bribe. (It's rather tricky carrying the stroller down the stairs while carrying anything else, in my defense.) He sang songs at the top of his lungs...so at least I knew he was okay. When I'd knock and ask/yell at him to open the door (I wanted to make sure he could hear me), he'd say, "No! Never! Not today!" (knock, knock) "Not today!" I tried bribing him with fruit snacks ("not today!") and apples and juice and other things that were inside, but to no avail. Then, I tried bribing him with kisses. And it worked! He definitely got kisses for opening the door. (He was on time. I'd allotted extra "just-in-case" time, thinking we wouldn't need it.)

Yep. It's almost time to go pick up the kids. Life is good. Right now. Check back in a couple hours for my evil half to be dominating.

(Again, with the book recommendations. I know there's some good stuff coming out soon. Quantity and quality both count here, though.)

1 comment:

John Colton said...

For some book recommendations, you can check out my website:
http://www.physics.byu.edu/faculty/colton/personal/books.html

I haven't updated it in a good long while, but there's some great stuff there if you can find anything you haven't yet read.