Monday, October 5, 2009

Bed-Time

I think things are going to be changing around here. I get really cranky around 7:25, which makes our hopeful 8 o'clock bedtime...well, not the happiest time.

But, for some reason, our kids absolutely adore reading in their beds, which I discovered last night. So, if they can stay in their beds, they can read for a few minutes. I was originally thinking maybe for 10 minutes, at 8.

Now, though. Since they seem to like reading in their beds so much. (No other reason, of course!)

Maybe, if they wanted to read for say, half an hour, why not? They can go to their beds at 7:30, and then read for 30 minutes. I'm okay with that.

A good, solid way to encourage avid readers would be to let them stay up later with a book. Which is pretty much the same as going to bed earlier with a book, right?

I melt when I listen to little voices reading. And hearing three little voices at the same time? Priceless.

2 comments:

Becca said...

Falling asleep reading is one of my favorite mothering solutions. On top of ending the day with a book, they get to wind down in their own mind space with an adventure of their own choice - not the same book their sister wants to read every day, for example. But the best, and I mean the VERY best thing I get out of it? Daylight savings and late summer nights have never been a problem since. What difference does it make that it's not yet dusk like it was yesterday when you fall asleep with a lamp every night anyway? And you're lucky, mind-expanding kids don't have to know all the perks you get. :)
Hope you don't mind all the fun I have catching up with your blog. Tell John hello. - Jay's little sister, Becca

kT said...

That's fantastic!