Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Time Allotment to Various Kid-Focused Activities

I've been wondering: How am I "supposed to" allot the several hours per day I spend with my children? I tried google-ing it, to no avail. Here's the approximation of what I do daily with the kids, followed by weekly activities.

Mornings:
15 minutes hygiene (get dressed, brush teeth)
30 minutes reading aloud
30 minutes gross motor development (ie, running games, races, soccer, playing at the park, yoga)
30 minutes fine motor development (ie, play-doh, building with blocks, art, drawing)
20 minutes music (involves shakers, rhythm sticks, bells, and a lot of noise)
10 minutes cleaning (they wash walls and windows and put toys away, mostly)

[Early afternoon is Danielle's nap and Jeremiah's preschool time, and I do reading and games with Isaac for about an hour of that, and we enjoy quiet time (cleaning for me, computer for him) for the remainder of the time.]

Afternoons/Evenings:
30 minutes reading aloud
30 minutes gross motor development
30 minutes fine motor development
30 minutes board/card games
45 minutes hygiene (baths, pajamas, brush teeth)
30 minutes scripture, songs and prayer

We spend an additional hour each day preparing and consuming food. I am actively involved in all above activities, with the sometimes-exception of fine motor skills. Play-Doh is usually a self-directed activity.

Weekly:
Visit the Phoenix Zoo.
Play at the Big Park.
Play at a friend's house.
Go to the YMCA 2-3 times.
Go on an errand.


For all who can add minutes into hours, I'm not spending every minute of every day with them. But blocks of time, yes. There are some specific goals we're working toward, such as following directions and taking turns (happily) and brushing our own teeth, among several others. The kids have free play for a couple hours in the mornings (some of which is spent at the Y) and a little in the evening and more hours on weekends.

Are there things I should be doing that I'm not? Do you think I should spend 3-4 hours instead of 1 reading aloud? letting the kids run around (remember, we're in an apartment, so we don't have a big backyard for our convenience)?

4 comments:

Alice Anne said...

Alison - keeping children, happy, fed, sometimes clean and learning a bit each day is perfect. Don't forget the Alison, happy, fed and learning too. Do'in a great job. Love Ya Mom

Sarah said...

Alison... you are a wonder woman!! If you ever need some girl time-give me a call ;D

Christine said...

I think that sounds like a fabulous list, and if you must know, more extensive then me. I think I might add a few of those myself!

Anonymous said...

Hey Michelle-

You are doing great I don't think you need to add more read aloud. You could have time when the kids read (make up stories) based on the pictures in their books, this is a great prereading skill. Also, just keep in mind that attention spans for one activity at their ages is about 15-25 mins, but you already know that. Well, that is my educator's two cents. We love and miss you and know you are doing a fabulous job!